Sunday, March 29, 2009

ReadyNAS Duo up and running

Just a quick note to say I have finally got my network storage backup up and running! I bought the ReadyNAS Duo diskless version for a client because I found a great deal on it (only $190) and then bought the appropriate sized-hard drives for a redundant RAID array (500GB drives for my client, 1TB drives for me at home).

This thing was so easy to setup - plug it in, set an IP address (if you want, it will find an automatic address on it's own but I assigned one as the automatic address can change which could affect backup schedules) and you are good to go.

At home I have an iMac, a Vista Ultimate machine, an XP laptop and a Vista Home laptop - all found the drive and could read/write to it with no problems! All in all - I can't believe I waited this long to get a NAS device for the home, but it finally was affordable. I highly recommend it if you have been on the fence or have been considering a USB drive for backup purposes - this beats a normal external drive hands-down!

1 Comments:

At June 24, 2009 at 5:27 PM , Blogger Tom Shearer said...

Dave, I've had a Linksys NSLU2 for about 4 years now - can't fault it - and it does the same. Could do with bigger HDDs though!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home